Thursday, December 8, 2011

Stuffed Peppers!

That's Right, I said stuffed peppers! Its one of my favorite comfort foods :-). Yesterday, out of ideas, and out of vegi's I headed to the store to find something for dinner (this is so often the case) and I thought about stuffed peppers! I haven't had stuffed peppers since the last time my mom made them years and years ago. I had attempted and failed a couple of years ago, while she was still around, I had asked her for her recipe. I don't know if I lost it, or it's on one of the computers in my email (I saved every email from her). It wasn't until this week, while I was talking to my dad that I found out she was a short order cook for a while. Now I know how she learned to do all that fancy footwork in the kitchen! She tried to teach me to flip eggs and pancakes in the pan, "a flick of the wrist" she'd say, but I never could get it right. 
 Anyway, I didn't even know where to begin to look, so I decided to try to remember the flavors and wing it... It really came out good! However, I made WAY too much stuffing for the 6 peppers I had. I suggest halving this recipe for 6-8 peppers. 


Mom's Famous Stuffed Peppers

6-8 peppers (any color you like :-)
1 1/2 c ground beef
2 c white rice (prepared according to the package)
1 can black olives
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
salt/pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 then  Brown and drain ground beef, in large pot (or small stock pot)
2. in the food processor chop finely the olives, onion, and garlic
3 add vegetables from food processor and rice to ground beef mixture, keep on low heat (electric 2-3)
4. add 3/4 can Crushed tomatoes and tomato paste to the stuffing, mix thoroughly, salt and pepper to taste, allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes for flavors to meld.
5. Cut and clean peppers then place them in a high sided baking dish, stuff the peppers (its ok to pack the stuffing in) drizzle with remainder of the crushed tomatoes
6 bake for apx 1 hour or until peppers are easily pierced with fork




No comments:

Post a Comment